Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Be Careful When You're At Your Worst



A phrase from Elizabeth Gilbert’s book Committed stayed with me today. “Let’s be careful.” If you’re not familiar with the book, Felipe had expressed that he and Liz were in a very exhausted, emotional and desperate state, and they needed to be careful about what they said to one another until they could find a place to rest and calm down. Fights can start when you are in that state. Irritable people can overreact and say things they regret later. I was really sick most of the day, so I really didn’t want to be interacting with people. I was in pain. I felt horrible. However, I kept that phrase with me and made sure to calibrate anytime I responded. For the people I had to respond to, I sucked it up and carried on. For the people I didn’t have to respond to, I just let it be until I could respond in a neutral way.

It’s the times that are really difficult that are the biggest tests for us. Whether our little worlds are crumbing around us, or we are physically sick and want to shut the world out for a day, we have to remember to not send negativity out in the world. Take care of yourself, but don’t take it out on others. Very hard to do when you just want to curl up and block everything out for a while. Just think long-term – you’ll regret it later if you act from your ego. You don’t have to go overboard, but just don’t lash out at others. I get like that sometimes, and I’m sure a lot of other people do, too. Remember yourself. It will all pass, and then you’ll be left with the aftermath. Don’t let there be any aftermath!

No comments:

Post a Comment