Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Always Walk Away Feeling Strong



Don’t ever come away from a workout feeling weak. Don’t leave a workout feeling like, “Well, that’s all I can do. I hit my limit.” You must leave a workout feeling strong. Feel proud and strong based on the entirety of the workout, not the mere fact that it ended. Feel strong for pushing yourself. Feel confident.

The same goes for anything else. Any conversation, any argument and any task. Come away from it loving yourself and the effort you put in. That, of course, means that you have to be present in those moments prior. You have to give it your all and be gentle with yourself – emotionally gentle. Don’t taunt yourself. Don’t have shame. Don’t have a deep feeling of worthlessness that creeps up under all your effort. That negativity is working against you. That negativity is useless and destructive. It has NO helpful purpose. It doesn’t prepare you for anything; it doesn’t shield you from anything; it doesn’t motivate you. If you need someone to challenge and motivate you by saying, “You can’t do it!” Well, that’s one thing. But when you believe it, that is another. And that’s what I’m talking about here.

For me, that ties nicely into the whole not having to defend myself concept. I’m getting so much better. There have been times where I started feeling defensive and I stopped myself, took a deep breath, and told myself, “I don’t have to defend myself!” I don’t have to prove anything. How did I even get that caught up in it in the first place? I’m not sure, but for some reason I feel like no one ever believes me or takes me seriously, so I have to defend myself and prove and explain everything such that they will understand.

Just yesterday someone had asked me if I had taken care of something. I instantly went on the defensive in my mind. Of course I hadn’t handled it! Since we’d last spoken, there had only been one day, and I had been out of the house from 7am to 10:30pm! And I have to go somewhere that is open from 9-5 to handle it! Seriously?? Had I taken care of it yet?? Really? How would I have? I have to prep beforehand and somehow I have to get there during the right hours… Adjust my entire schedule if I’m going to do it during the week…

But I caught myself. I don’t have to defend myself. I don’t have to explain every detail to this person. I always feel like I do, and I get into so many arguments with people because some personality types try to pick apart my reasons and it is really annoying. I don’t have to feel like I’ve failed. I don’t have to defend my integrity. I know that I haven’t had the time. I don’t have to convince anyone. Just say that. Say when I will get to it. Or say the simple answer to any other question. I don’t have to list out every reason and defend it. It’s okay. And again, walk away feeling strong. Don’t walk away feeling defeated. That will fester inside you and ruin you.

I’ll bet that if you walk away from a workout feeling strong, you will become physically stronger faster.

I’ll bet that if you walk away from a conversation or other interaction feeling strong, you will become emotionally stronger. Not really emotionally… but your confidence will be stronger, and how you act from then on will come from a place of strength.

It really is all in your mind. You have the power to control your perspective and your reality. You are perfect as you are. Your only problem is you don’t believe it yet, and that’s where all the issues come from. Believe in yourself and the rest of the issues you worry about will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment