Saturday, April 27, 2013

Walk Towards Your Fears



What I’ve learned in all the books I’ve read is that if you feel fear about something, generally you need to walk towards it. I’m not talking about physical danger. I’m not talking about irresponsible choices. I’m talking about fears that are limiting beliefs. I’m talking about the fear to go up and talk to someone; fear to go to a party where you don’t know anyone; fear to speak up in a meeting; fear to chase after your dream; fear to do something because you aren’t “enough” in some way.

I’ve had a couple encounters with that lately where I had to remind myself to walk towards my fears.

The other day I was invited out after work with some colleagues. That’s generally not something I love to do. If I really know someone, I can get into deep conversations with them, but even then I fear running out of things to say. With people I’m just meeting, where an initial interest was found, there is obviously a ton to talk about – you know nothing about them, so you can jump from one thing to the next. But people that you somewhat know but don’t know all that well – that one is tricky. For me, at least. At least, it used to be.

But that was the old me!

Remember, I’ve been working on this. With the celebrity’s assistant a few weeks ago, I practiced this. Being present. Focusing on serving them and being loving and supportive. Giving love. Instead of focusing on the mechanics of the conversation and what to say next, just be fully present and interested in the other person.

So I realized that my fear was an old fear. I was telling myself the story that “I’m bad in social settings,” and yet I’d been working on it, so really I had no idea if I was anymore. And even if I still was, I needed to keep practicing so I can get rid of that limiting belief and fear!

So I went. It was great! I had a good time and I didn’t feel awkward at all. There was enough going on that even when I didn’t really have anything to say, I wasn’t staring at a wall twiddling my thumbs. The whole thing was very enjoyable. I’m SO glad I didn’t listen to myself and tell myself that it wasn’t something I wanted to do. I’m SO glad I walked towards that fear such that I could work on conquering it.

I have another example! At work, we had a big meeting with the customers. Some of them have heard me talk a lot about my portion of the project, but some haven’t, because they are involved in another portion of the project. The meeting was on the portion I’m not intimately involved in, so my place in that meeting was really just to listen and take notes. At one point, I saw a big opening for me to speak. To clarify the discussion for everyone. It was one of those times where I felt like saying something is unnecessary. Or that it would even make me appear slow. I just wanted to summarize, because I felt like everyone was on the verge of being on the same page, and if I said what I wanted to say, it would either solidify it or expose where the confusion was. There was a big, long pause, which gave me time to convince myself to say it. The customer agreed with me. My team acknowledged me and continued forward. I still wasn’t sure what to make of my decision to speak right then. I actually started to think that my comment was pointless, maybe even made me look bad or slow. I let it go – I wasn’t too worried about it – but I did almost determine that my speaking didn’t necessarily help anything.

Then later on in the meeting, one of the customer’s looked to me. He wanted my input. Me, specifically. The only person not speaking in this meeting. He said that he wanted me to explain it, because he felt I was on the same wavelength with him. What!? Me? How would he have thought that? He’s rarely ever heard me speak!

I’m ASSUMING it was from that comment I’d made earlier. I could be wrong, but unless it was from my body language or something, that’s really the only thing it could have been. Here I was thinking that my comment was dumb and unnecessary, when really I had proven to this man that I could see the big picture and summarize complex things in a concise way. I hadn’t even given myself credit for that! And yet I’d apparently already made a huge impression on this person! How awesome is that!?

Walk towards your fears!! That fear is only one perspective, and it is NOT truth! YOU have control over it. YOU don’t know how others are going to perceive you. Something you word amazingly could be taken wrong; something you thought you misspoke on could be perceived as genius. You never know! Stop second-guessing yourself! Speak up, ask questions, summarize what you are hearing from those around you. If you are silent, no one knows what you are thinking. Body language can be misinterpreted. And you know what? The more you speak up, the bigger the sample; the bigger the sample, the more times you can misspeak without it mattering, because you’ll have said something genius 3 times more than you said something dumb.

I am of course coming from the perspective of someone who is generally quiet and reserved. This is not applicable for most extroverts, I would think. I don’t know. Take your own meaning away from it. I know it drives me nuts when I read something that is giving advice that is the opposite of what I need to hear. Like when I read, “Be picky! Have standards!” I’m thinking, shut up! That’s my problem! My standards are too high! Not what I need to hear!

We are all coming from very different perspectives. It’s like we are all trying to find that balance at the center of a sphere, but you may be coming from the upper right of the sphere, and I am coming from the bottom left of the sphere, so while you need to hear, “Move to the left!!” If I were to hear that, it would push me further away from center. You know what I mean? That’s been my problem all my life. The main advice that is given to people – I’m already there. And I kept getting pushed more and more and more into that corner. But THAT wasn’t the advice I needed. I needed the opposite advice. Not to throw myself over to the opposite extreme, but to just make my way to the center.

Where is the center for you? Is it up and to the right? Is it down and to the left? The same advice does not work for everyone. People need to hear different things in order to find their own way to balance and tranquility.

Whatever it is, you can be sure you’ll have to walk towards an army of fears to get there. But don’t be afraid. When you’re standing right at those fears, they look dangerous and intimidating. But once you pass to the other side, you realize they were just holograms. They can’t hurt you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I love your blog & where you've come from & where your at. I actually have read over them a few time's certain articles as it has great meaning to me.

    I say this only in sadness & no animosity. You stated you don't wish to have children & I believe it is a selfish view(plz don't get upset as I'm not having a go at you-look at it as mindfulness)as they are the greatest gift we can receive in life and to further that you require a man(sperm at least:)& yes you say these things now...wait till you hit 30 as your natural body clock will kick in & you'll understand when the time comes. I've seen the most staunch anti-child like women change in a short period of time. Your ex partner sounded like a man who you youmaybe should look at again as you keep speaking of him? everyone has there faults and relationships do take work and believe it or not its not always easy. Far from it, where we all go wrong is by being open in communication, respecting each other;s boundaries, and being independent of each other still as that is love given freely with no expectations and it will grow and grow. I could say so much but I wont. You have an unbelievable beautiful heart and loving soul & I believe you have learnt more than many people your age & are perfect the way you are. Sending limitless rays of love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input! No offense was taken, especially since you were so careful in how you worded things.

    First I want to say that I am not anti-having-kids. I guess I'd have to look through all the blogs to see where that idea came across. However, I'm not absolutely adamant about having kids, either. I just sort of assumed I'd get married and have kids, and I think I'd make a damn good mom, and I lived my life such that I'd be a good role model for my future kids. Maybe you're referencing my view points on relationships and how I've said they are optional, and you've taken away from that the fact that I don't want kids? I won't try to guess, but I can see your point about it being selfish. I almost do feel that way about relationships, actually! Thank you for saying I have a beautiful heart - I choose to believe that I do, too - which makes me feel like, despite my issues with guys, it would be selfish to stay single! ;)

    As for referencing my ex, he came up a lot in the beginning and somewhat beyond just because he was the latest. Whoever is the latest ex gets the most airtime in my words, so I wouldn't look too much into that. I definitely understand your point, and I definitely know that no one is perfect and I can't expect that. But for one, I am not in a place yet where I can accept a relationship where the guy is not exactly what I want as far as his character and morals and decisions. I'm getting to the point where I can understand and have compassion for people, but I can't have that person be in an intimate relationship with me. I am not that far along yet. Honestly I'm sure the guy is way over me by now, unlike other exes who stuck around long after the fact. Maybe I'm wrong, that's just my guess. Either way, we are not right for each other. He is a fantastic guy with a big heart, but I just can't attach my life to him. I send him love and light every chance I get though, and I know he will be fine.

    Thank you so much for your comment! I'm glad you are enjoying the blogs!

    ReplyDelete