Thursday, April 4, 2013

Speak with Authority



Today was challenging yet amazing. It was challenging because I felt completely overwhelmed with various responsibilities, deadlines and upcoming events and decisions. I started getting really flustered. I made sure to take it all one step at a time. I took the one that was upsetting me the most, and I reasoned with myself. That one I actually had no reason to be worrying about. So I tackled the next one. And then the next one.

Today was amazing because I saw so much growth in myself when interacting with others. I’ve been raised to shut up and do my job. Being an introvert, I don’t feel the need to speak when it isn’t necessary. I’ve been learning that those qualities are not always good. Over the past week or so, today especially, I’ve been crushing it as far as speaking up. I’ve been getting a whole lot better at speaking with authority, declaring my opinions and that I am on the same page with everyone else. A couple times it felt weird – like when I say, “Yes, I completely agree with that. Definitely.” I felt like I was making it seem like I was more important than I was… like, only the opinion of a manager or boss would matter, so who cares that I agree? But see, that’s exactly what I’m fixing. My opinion does matter. And it shows that I am there and present. I even dared to speak some [obvious or pointless] thoughts out loud, and I was told those were great points. I generally don’t like to finish people’s sentences, or when I do, I am timid about it, because I feel like I’m being rude, but today I did it confidently, as if to validate what they were saying. I said it with enough authority to get recognition.

Now I’m coming off to others how I’ve felt inside this whole time. This attitude of confidence and intelligence is coming out. People are finally seeing it. I don’t feel quite as misunderstood. It feels great. I can’t just feel it inside and them be so quiet and humble and expect people to know what is inside of me. Don’t be afraid to project it. It’s awesome. I’m sure at times this type of expression may backfire on me, but it is so much more important to start being confident in it. It isn’t wrong to voice my opinion with authority. I’m finding this fantastic balance as far as that. I love it! I feel so empowered. I’m not being cocky, yet I’m not being so quiet and irrelevant, either. I’m demanding respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment