Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spread Love to Feel Love



Today is Valentine’s Day. For about 9 years straight I was a part of a couple during this day. Now for the past few years I’ve spent it alone. That first year was a little depressing, but the following years were actually amusing. I got to enjoy “Single’s Awareness Day”. I got to relax and sit back without planning anything with my sweetie. A few times, including this one, I’ve bought myself some stuff to make me feel special. As I’ve been learning, self-love is important. You need to make yourself feel special. So I bought myself a cute big-eyed stuffed turtle and some chocolate covered pretzels! As well as some chocolate to share around the office.

Coming to work today I did feel a twitch of sadness. That’s pretty normal. However, I remembered the strategy of making myself happy by making others happy. I knew that if I was pleasant to everyone else, and if I spread joy, that would make me feel fantastic.

And guess what the topic of some of The Daily Love posts were today!? That exact concept! Creepy!

On a daily basis, I try to give kindness. I hold the door open for people and keep the elevator door from closing. People get really surprised when I do that – they aren’t used to that sort of kindness. That’s pretty sad! I’m glad to brighten their day a tiny bit, though. I remember that commercial where one person does something gracious, and another person sees it – so then they do something gracious, and another person sees it- and so on. Everyone is going about their day, hoping to just get by, simply living by the ego. But it doesn’t take much to remind them that they, too, want to be kind. It is in this way that we can spread love throughout our town, country and world - and feel that love in return.

I’m definitely not a hippie or anything, but just be kind and generous to people. Don’t be in such a rush that you’re willing to ruin someone else’s day. Don’t be so selfish – it isn’t necessary, and it isn’t you. That car you’re honking at is trying to remember if they turned off their curling iron or if it is going to burn their house down. That car you cut-off has their newborn baby in the back. That car you won’t let in has been trying to merge for 5 minutes, and no one has shown them any kindness such that they can get to work on time.

Isn’t that you on some days?

Spread some kindness today. Remind people that a simple kind gesture is enough to change their entire perspective on the day.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment