Monday, February 11, 2013

Pondering What Love Means to Me



I went rogue and started doing some research of my own on marriage, just to get other perspectives and see if other references agree. I don’t even know where to find reliable facts on the internet anymore, so who knows how accurate any of it is. I kept all of that in the back of my head as I read things and discussed with friends and colleagues.

Marriage is really starting to make me feel icky. I swear we (my generation) were raised on all sorts of falsehoods that many people (in fact probably just about everyone) still believe in. “True love” and “you’ll just know when you meet ‘The One’” was engrained in us at a very young age. It kind of makes me angry. I was not prepared for this. I would have done things so much differently; I would have viewed things so much differently. I would have expected such different things. I would not have been as stressed out or upset about anything, really.

So now I’m forced to start thinking about what “love” and “marriage” mean to me. I can have it mean whatever I want. That’s basically the point these days – we are free to make almost any decision we want and for any reason we want.

For starters, I’m pretty terrified that I will now demand to have a boyfriend/husband who has read and absorbed all these books I’ve been reading. I’m afraid I will now want someone who not only fits all my old standards, but in addition, is aware of his “fears” and “ego” and works daily to view the world with love and overcome his fearful ways. My nearly impossible standards just got even MORE ridiculous.

However, I don’t know that for sure. I can speculate as to how I will be, but I really won’t know until someone comes along.

That’s another thing: I basically expect that I have completely killed love for myself. I won’t ever look at feelings for another human being the same way again. Now all I will see is, “Oh, I like this guy. What does that mean? I must be lacking in Trait A, and he has it, and he strengthens that trait in me. Thanks, buddy! Time for me to go off and work on my own Trait A now! See ya!”

That’s… actually kind of how the last one turned out, come to think of it…

Anyways, so if I did want to renew my faith in love, what would I have it mean for me? Most – scratch that, all – of my old standards still apply: No cheating (remembering that you can cheat with your eyes, mind, hands, body, heart, etc.); Hobbies and interests don’t have to be the same, but the desire to support and sometimes join your significant other in their interests should be there; You should want to share the details of your life with the person you are sharing a life with (this would also help with not “growing apart”, not to mention just being up-to-date on your sweetie’s life, problems, thoughts, etc.); Encouraging and supporting one another through hard times and helping to raise each other's confidence when they are feeling low…

Blah, blah, blah. Everything is the same! So I’ll try to focus on what has changed. Has anything changed?

What’s changed is that I probably no longer need as much proof that I am the center of their universe. Maybe I won’t be as paranoid about worst-case scenarios, simply because I know that I will survive if they do turn up (as I write this, I realize that I logically know this, but don’t emotionally know this yet).

I think a good outcome of all this is that I will no longer feel the need to have my significant other be exactly like me and become one with me. I might now be able to accept that I will not know every thought that goes through his head; every conversation he has… and that that’s okay. There isn’t some vital piece of the puzzle that I will miss that will make the whole relationship topple over later. The relationship may crumble, but studying every detail of his thoughts and actions won’t help me avoid it. Even though I may surrender this paranoia, my intelligence and observation skills will not suddenly be turned off. I am smart enough to put pieces together. I am just surrendering the stress of anticipating something that may never happen, or reading into things that don’t matter as much as I think they do.

That is going to be so hard to do.

Really, I’ll keep acting the same for the most part – the difference will be in how I perceive the other person. That, in turn, will reduce one of the only behavior flaws I have – getting upset and reading too much into things.

I’m almost scared for the world. Once I fix that, I’m unstoppable! And if I lose weight, too… goodness. The world isn’t ready for such awesomeness.

See? That’s the attitude you have to have with yourself. Be your own cheerleader. Be your own supportive coach. Know that deep down, under all those fears, you are incredible and irresistible.

Love yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment