Saturday, January 5, 2013

What Is Your "It"?



There are a lot of thoughts and concepts that have been going through my head. A lot of truths and a lot of judgments. I’ve been thinking more about balance, in particular, and informing myself that everything from that post I wrote applies to my deepest, darkest issues, as well. It applies to those most of all. The thoughts and judgments are actually more personal and private than I care to share, so I’ll express “it” vaguely, in ways that can possibly inspire others.

It’s the things that upset us the very most and cause us the most grief in our lives that we are the most imbalanced on. At least, I’m discovering that’s the case for me. Like I said in a previous post, it isn’t that I’m wrong. I’m doing the right thing, and I’m thinking the right things. I just see others behaving badly, so I’m shouting out how everyone should act, and hearing only that. Well, I’ve already learned that lesson. Just as I said before, I’ve already learned that lesson, and staying all the way over here in the corner of “the right thing” isn’t really helping anything. My actions and my own opinions will always be there. The way I look at things and feel about things will always be there. I’m not saying I’m loosening up on my morals, strong beliefs, or values. As always, it is just about acceptance. Truly hearing and accepting the whole entire truth of the matter. Acknowledging that the capacity to act the way others do resides, or at least did, within me, and that what I’ve learned and what I know has guided me to a way of life that is the most pure and ideal. “Guided” is a weird word here, because it implies I wasn’t always there, and I basically have been, but I guess I was “guided” there from a neutral point, whereas others would have to be “guided” there from the opposite side of the matter. Hopefully being this vague isn’t confusing… just think of something you feel very strongly about, that you have a hard time accepting about others, and put that thought in place of all my vague “it”s.

What drives others resides in me, as well. What drives others to behave in ways I disagree with is still inside me. I took a different path, and chose the better way, but the underlying “it” is this still there, and I have to accept it for what it is. Seeing it and accepting it in me might be the first step here. You can take it to different levels. You can exploit it, you can disrespect it and you can indulge in it. I chose not to. I chose to make it pure and righteous. But “it” still exists, regardless. I can’t deny that “it” is there.

I have by no means made this step yet. I have just now realized I’m going to have to tackle this beast. I am going to have to come to terms with the things that upset me most in the entire world. I have to acknowledge that “it” resides in me, such that I can open it up and analyze it better. I don’t have to be okay with the things that upset me. I just have to know that they stem from something that everyone has. Some can abuse it, but “it” itself is not horrible. Only what people do with it is horrible. That’s the first step… who knows how long it will take to get there.

What is your “it”? What upsets you the most about people, society or the world? Can you acknowledge that whatever it is, the seed of it is within all of us, even you? Can you accept that people take “it” and run down all sorts of different paths, drag it through the mud, abuse it, and turn it into something horrible, but that “it” itself isn’t horrible? That “it” has, or at least had, a purpose in human life?

No comments:

Post a Comment