Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fighting Food and Trusting Compliments



Yesterday I started the exercises in Gabrielle Bernstein’s book May Cause Miracles. It’s a little frustrating, because I want so badly to just read the whole book, but you have to do it day by day, and even read a section in the morning and a section in the evening. It’s a 6-week workbook with exercises for every single day. I won’t go into all the exercises (I don’t want to prevent her from getting business), but I will talk about the realizations I make.

These days I feel like light bulbs are going off in my head all over the place! Yesterday I think I discovered another big one. I’ve always wondered why I eat so fast, and suddenly everything connected. In middle school I had a period of time where I had all these stomach issues. I threw up in the mornings, and then I wasn’t hungry the rest of the day until after school. None of that was on purpose, I just felt sick to my stomach and couldn’t think about food most of the day. The doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong – they even had the nerve to suggest I might be pregnant! At 13 years old! What the…. Anyways, so after my stomach problems calmed down (a year or two later), I still had some sort of issue with eating in public. I felt self-conscious because I thought people were looking at me like, “Wow, she does NOT need all that food.” I thought the sight of me eating would make people judge me and amplify the idea that I was fat. I think all of that negative self-talk made its way into my habits. Now I don’t eat much and I eat really fast. The less time I spend eating, the less time for people to judge me? Is that what my fears and ego are saying? And of course by eating less, I am somehow proving that I am healthy, right? Definitely not. Instead I think my body stores more fat because it thinks it is starving.

So that was an interesting realization.

But wait, there’s more!

I also analyzed a different perspective of my relationship with my ex. He was the perfect catalyst for all this change because he was perfect except for some very specific things that dealt with very specific fears of mine. He allowed me to isolate some of my fears. He was a band-aid and perfectly pacified my fears in all other ways. He loved, adored and admired me. He adored things I hate about myself, and he admired all the things I love about myself. You know what, though? That’s how I need to love MYSELF. Now I’m so scared no one else will love me as much as he did. But that is ALL backwards. I have to love MYSELF that much. And you know what else? I used to get all skeptical about him being sweet. I learned that sweet-talking is fake and bad, and was conflicted because he seemed to be pretty genuine about it, but I spent so much time trying to determine if he REALLY meant what he was saying 100%. But what does it matter? What does it matter if he means it 65%, 90% or 100%? I put way too much weight on HOW MUCH he meant what he was saying, because it would only be a sufficient band-aid for my own lack of love for myself if HE meant it with all of his heart and soul. That’s the wrong way to look at it. If he means it at all, great. Wonderful. The only person who needs to believe all of it 100% is me. His believing it doesn’t fill that void. It doesn’t fix that hole in my heart. I have to believe it myself. He can tell me how smart, beautiful and amazing I am all day long, but if I don’t believe it, it won’t ever mean a damn thing. Some people would crave those words like a drug addict. At least I wasn’t at that level. I just tried to determine if he meant it or if he was manipulating me. I eventually figured out that he just genuinely really cared about me and wanted me to be happy and feel good. Go figure! How paranoid do I have to be to doubt someone like that? How fearful do I have to be to perceive things in that way? It’s pretty sad. I mean, it is true a lot of the time, but my intuition knew better. It isn’t hard to pick out when people have motives behind things like that. I just didn’t want to trust. I was scared to trust. Instead I just wasted time and got worried over nothing.

I’m also still trying really hard to take my own insecurities out of the equation when talking to my parents. I’m pretty sure the most deeply rooted, covered, disguised, pent up issues always reside in your relationship with your parents. Eradicating those issues is HARD! I made such a breakthrough yesterday looking at absolutely everything through [my best crack at] their eyes. Their fears; their lessons; their intentions; their love. I actually got emotional at one point because I think I really hit something big. If you just start by reminding yourself that their intent is to love and care for you, and then add in their own pasts, and then add in how they react to whatever behavior patterns you all have together, it becomes pretty powerful and clear. And then you know what you have to do. You know what you need to do to help the situation. Now it’s just up to me to stop my own issues from getting in the way, or at least to handle them as gracefully as possible when they pop up.

I can’t believe how many breakthroughs I’m having. I’m so excited to be having so much success in this journey. A year ago I was judging the crap out of everyone, and here I am really making an effort to be more loving and accepting, and seeing the love in each day and each interaction I have. I’m also loving myself more. I’m letting go of my judgments of myself. I’m going to be completely unrecognizable soon! The way I talk and experience life will be so dramatically different.

Happiness, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment