Tuesday, September 3, 2013

It's Time to Find Myself Again



So I’ve been feeling pretty empty, and I’ve been trying to figure out why. I know that I’m doing great on my spiritual journey, and yet I know I still feel unfulfilled and lifeless. I’m not as miserable as I have been over the last few years, but something still isn’t right. I’ve made little motivational posters for myself that show pictures of me from high school and college versus pictures of me since I’ve been in the working world, trying to help me get back to the person I once was, physically, mentally and emotionally (except plus all this wonderful enlightenment I’ve gained). A passer-by would notice that I’ve gained weight in the newer pictures, but that’s not all that I see. When I look at these pictures, I see how I was feeling at that time in my life, as well. A passer-by would notice that in the newer pictures, I am smiling, and in the old ones, I’m not. They might think I am happier now than I was then. Nope. I am more fulfilled in those pictures… more myself… more “real”. I reconnect with my inner essence from that time, and I know I am at least living my truth back then, and if I could add that to my current enlightenment, I would be great! Instead, I currently have the enlightenment but I am missing “my truth” that I had back then.

So I started trying to write out what I see when I look at these pictures.

When I look at the old pictures, I see: Sadness but depth of emotion. Self-expression. Creativity. Identity. True joy, fun, love and sorrow (based on which picture and experience). Authenticity. I hadn’t been wounded enough yet to push people away… so I still had a little vulnerability and ability to care and love. Silliness. Longing and yearning; Dreams. Hope.

In the recent pictures, I see: Defeat. Fake/surface happiness and smiles. Loneliness, despite being around people. No emotional connections with people. Dragging myself through each experience, trying to make the most of it and trying so hard to find joy and appreciation, but not really finding it. Disconnected. Not fully expressing myself. No creativity. No longing or yearning; no dreams. No hope. Just existing. No depth of life. No inner spark of light.

That’s what I see when I look at those pictures. And guess what, those emotions are probably reflected in my health. I know that. I learned that the hard way, that stress and misery wreak havoc on your body…

It helps to write out what I see. I felt it all, but you have to put words to it sometimes so you can see it, accept it, and know what you have to do next to deal with it. I know I’m already taking steps towards changing that reality. That is encouraging. I know I’m already starting to see my life start to turn around in certain ways. I know I now have the tools to deal with things I didn’t before – for example, my social skills. I still need to bridge the gap between “social” and “personal” conversations, because I get into one mode or the other, and I can’t go back and forth very well. But hey, I didn’t know how to be social at ALL really in the past – I had a FEAR of it, and that fear is no longer present. That is HUGE, and I need to celebrate that success. So now I’m completely game for meeting new people and chatting. I’m reconnecting with a couple old friends, and I’m working through my issues (it stresses me out!) with planning social events. I’m well on my way.

I think what my heart and soul are telling me now is that it is time to figure out why and how I’m not being authentic. It’s time to reconnect with myself again. Reconnect with the creativity and individuality that I loved about myself. Dance and things have helped, but those are only a small portion of my time. I know that doing nothing but work for years doesn’t help, and trying to be [too] professional has leaked into my off-duty identity and dampened my creativity and individuality. So I’ll be thinking about that and trying to access that place in my heart where the real me lives. I’ll try to let it see the light of day. I’ll ask it what it needs to heal and show itself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment