Sunday, June 2, 2013

Don't Assume People Don't Want You Around


This weekend was fantastic. As it relates to my personal journey, it was interesting. My friends tried to set me up with someone at an event we attended. The two of us were aware of this manipulation, and yet we decided to converse anyway. We did actually hit it off. I noted some interesting interest similarities, and I got a vibe from him that he was responsible and mature. Granted, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything, based on such a TINY sample of interactions. But, he lives almost 2 time zones away, so not even a chance for any continued interaction, really.

I want to pick apart this experience and the self-talk in my head to see what I can learn from it.

I noticed some interesting things in myself from this interaction. First of all, I want to point out how proud of myself I am. Despite the obvious set-up, I had no problem chatting with him, and didn’t feel nervous at all. I even danced with him without feeling weird. I think that is a huge step for me. That shows that I am at least confident enough to chat with someone under that kind of pressure without being “in my head”. I was actually interested in getting to know him, and wasn’t filling my head with “He doesn’t want to talk to you. Why are you putting him through this??” Granted when I felt myself rambling I did hear that in my head, but for the most part it wasn’t there.

The sad/interesting part was the end. The night moved to several locations, and I continued to talk to him or at least be around him. My energy was quickly dissolving, so I wasn’t talkative or energetic by the end. But he was definitely genuine when he said it was very nice talking with me. This is where my head may have gotten in the way. I said it was nice to meet him, and went off to my hotel room. No mention of ever talking to him again (exchanging numbers may have been too much, but looking back, I could have at least asked if I could Facebook him). In my mind, I had all these excuses: “He lives far away, and even if he didn’t, I’m sure he wouldn’t want to talk to me. I don’t even know him really, anyway.” Hm. What’s funny is that I am really confident about how awesome I am, and yet in circumstances like this (and the situation where my good friend from work left the company and now I’ll have to contact him outside work), I always feel like no one has any interest in ever hearing from me again. I don’t want to be clingy. I don’t want to be needy. I’m neither of those things, but I’m paranoid about coming off that way. If they want to talk to me, they can, but I won’t push it (and generally they have to be really straight forward to get me to accept that they want to hear from me again). That’s how I view things. That’s how my fear presents itself. But you know what? That attitude has gotten me into SO much trouble. For me, I’m not contacting people because I lack confidence. I don’t think I’m important to them, so I don’t want to bother them and take up their time. For the people I’m not contacting – they think I don’t care about them! That couldn’t be further from the truth! Friends have gotten MAD at me for never initiating conversations, and I can definitely understand that. But what do I do? How do I find a comfortable balance? Growing up, I was called annoying and obsessive. I don’t want to be that way, and I’m terrified of being like that, so I just shut up and shut everyone out until they contact me. I let them come to me. I never learned how to balance it out. But this isn’t healthy. This isn’t balance. I have to know that there is something in between. (I’m limiting myself to who comes to me, when I have the power to go find other people…)

I’ve known this about myself since college, but this was an interesting situation for it. I’ll have to keep that in mind moving forward. I need to figure out a non-invasive way of allowing for future contact with people. That’s my next mission, be it a guy or just friends. I have NO idea how to do that. I feel so awkward about it, due to my lack of confidence in that particular scenario. But why? Why don’t I think people would want to hang out with me? Well, I don’t find myself fun. I don’t really ever do anything, and anything I do is a solitary activity. I read, I write, I go to very specific dance classes and related events. You know how you fix that? Get back into the MeetUp groups, and start doing some activities! That way a) I can meet people, and b) I have activities I can INVITE people to when I meet them randomly. It won’t just be like, “Hey, let’s… chat… sometime... if you want…” It’ll be, “Hey! I’m going hiking next weekend, want to join? Give me your number and I’ll give you more details and you can decide.” MUCH better. Everyone wins. It opens contact without being pushy, and instead of some awkward ambiguous ability to contact them, there is a purpose behind it. An ice-breaker, if you will. And they can decline if they want. I like it. It also doesn’t flat out tell a guy you are interested in him when you don’t even know anything about him to know whether or not you are. It just gives you more opportunities to figure that out. Same with potential friends. It gives you opportunities to get to know people better.

I guess my next problem will be determining how to cut people off if they aren’t a good match with you… AH! No. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. One thing at a time.

Can you see how your fears are influencing your interactions with others? Do you have the same problem I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment