Monday, June 10, 2013

Believe in Your Inner Leader!



I can be a badass. Scratch that – I AM a badass!

That’s the message life is giving me right now. Everything in life right now is telling me, “Hey, quit acting like you don’t know what you’re doing. You are brilliant, you have character, and you are strong – ACT LIKE IT! DO something with it!”

I’m seriously standing a little straighter; holding my head a little higher; speaking up with a little more authority, simply because I am actually starting to believe that I have value that does not need to be verified against anyone else. Normally I like to be proven right; I like to have someone tell me I’m right; I like to please some sort of authority figure who is determining that I’ve done something right.

Guess what? I don’t need to look for that confirmation. (DUH)

But that truth is now starting to really sink in and affect how I carry myself and how I communicate.

What caused this message to finally get through to me? Well, it’s been starting to sink in, but I think one of the kickers is that I essentially got an exclusive invitation to be an officer in the military. WHAT!? My conduct, the way I carry myself and my ethics are apparent to those around me, and if I wanted it, I could very likely have that life and become a real leader.

I’d NEVER even considered such a thing before. Mostly because I’m terrified of dying. But I’m at a place in my life where I’m completely open to my life taking such a drastic turn. It’s exciting to think about!

I spent a few days thinking, researching and meditating on it. This has made me look at myself in SUCH a different light.

I look at my body. Yeah, I could be military-fit. I could carry all the weight of supplies and whatever else they carry. I could jump around an obstacle course. (I can’t do any of that NOW, but I can completely see it!)

I look in my eyes. Yeah, I’m smart enough, clever enough and capable enough to do that sort of work and carry that type of a responsibility.

So the question is – why am I not doing that already??? What I’ve found in my excitement is that, honestly, I look at the military and I think to myself, “Yes! I can learn how to be fit, strong and capable there! That will help me prove to myself that I can be all of that!”

WRONG.

I don’t need the military to do that. That is not a reason to join the military. I could do all of that NOW. It’s almost like I would be coping out by having the military teach me things I could already have done if I just had the determination and motivation to do it myself. I’m suddenly realizing that I’ve never even really tried to build any of that in myself. I doubted myself, so I took it off my priorities. If it isn’t a priority, it will not get done. You will find reasons to not do it.

If it is a priority, you will FIND time and opportunities to do something.

So why am I keeping myself down??? I can be fit and strong, I just have to believe it and make it a priority! I don’t believe that I can do it, so it never happens. It CAN happen and it WILL happen.

I AM a leader. I know how to communicate with people, and I work on that skill EVERY SINGLE DAY to get BETTER AND BETTER. I’m smart enough to see right away what works and what doesn’t, and I make adjustments accordingly. I make SO much progress EVERY SINGLE WEEK. So why am I not leading??

I have everything I need within myself to become a complete badass and make a huge difference in the world. Unfortunately, it looks like I need a reminder of that every now and then. I seem to remember feeling this way about myself a while back, and yet I so easily forget it. Too easily. I need to work on that. I need to start EACH DAY remembering that I AM A BADASS. (Is badass considered a curse word? I’m trying to keep this blog pretty tame on language…).

The invitation is such an honor. I can completely see myself there, and part of me wants to do it. But I don’t think it aligns with all the beliefs and realizations I’m making right now. Is that where I want my life to go? Is that my calling? I thought my calling was helping people believe in themselves and feel loved and understood. I know it would be a FANTASTIC life experience, and I would learn so much about myself and my inner and outer strength, but I just don’t know that it feels right for me.

But I feel so much more empowered, because I could totally do it! And I believe it!

That’s life for you. It keeps on coming. It gives you test after test. Opportunities you never expected come out of nowhere. It doesn’t give you more than you can handle, but at times it takes you to your max. And this isn’t even my max, and I’m aware of it. Life is dynamic. It keeps changing. You are not who you think you are – you are so much more.

What are you going to do about it? Are you going to believe in yourself and make it happen? Or are you going to doubt yourself and limit yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment