Monday, May 27, 2013

Let Out Your Inner Rock Star!


I did it!

I am SO proud of myself. I was determined to keep the correct and positive mindset no matter what, and it totally worked!

In case you didn’t read my last post, I was invited to a big social event (invite-only) in the city by a co-worker. I don’t usually – scratch that, EVER – do things like that, but I felt like this random rare invite was a sign and a test from the Uni-verse.

I usually hate big parties. I’m not good at socializing. I feel like I’m put on the spot; I feel like I have nothing to talk about; I feel like no one wants me to awkwardly join them and interrupt their conversations. Interacting with a big group of people just isn’t my thing. Especially in a situation like this, where everyone there would be all glamorous and attractive, and here I am looking like crap.

At least that is the limiting belief that I have been manifesting all my life for whatever reason!

Now I know that I have complete control over how I perceive any situation. Before the party, I made sure to continuously remind myself to just spread love and kindness, and if that wasn’t working out, just find a way to entertain myself. Look for opportunities to have fun instead of looking for reasons to be miserable.

Meeting up with the partygoers was a little stressful for everyone, but once we were all loaded up in the taxi and on our way, I helped remind everyone to take a deep breath, know that it is all out of our hands now, we are on our way and we are going to have fun!

The decorations and the scenery were absolutely beautiful. Perfect options for entertaining myself when the spreading love and kindness wasn’t flowing. We met up with some other people, and I could tell that I was judging people very differently than I usually do. I was seeing the positive in people where normally I’d pinpoint the bad. I actually judged a couple people negatively, but then realized this was mostly out of my own fear. After realizing that, I tried to interact with them, which didn’t really work out, but I was happy I tried. Others I tried to be kind and helpful with and had some good little conversations and interactions with them.

Now on to the good stuff: I struck up conversations with random people! My favorite example is when I was looking out at the view, separated from my own group a little bit, and I heard the trio next to me talking about the view and I jumped in! They were so much fun, and so interesting! I hung out with them for a long while and then went on my way. Later I circled back to them and brought them over to this picture taking booth I found where we could all dress up in boas, funny glasses and hats and take pictures for free!

Besides them I conversed with 2 guys individually and then another 2 together.

And then I hit the dance floor! So awesome!

As usual, the day after I started trying to judge myself. I find I tend to do that. I try to find reasons to put myself down. But I won’t let myself this time. There were some things that were not so great about the night. My ankle had been bothering me and at one point when I was dancing my ankle gave out and I fell smack on my butt. How embarrassing! But I just got up like nothing happened and kept dancing. I have to choose to not wallow in the negative emotions from situations like that, and to not let it taint the whole experience. Remember the good times. It’s over now, anyway. It’s all about how you perceive it and what you take with you from now on. When I start looking back and trying to find things to be mad at myself for, I just tell myself that I did a great job and I was awesome that night. And I was! Incredible progress! Incredible confidence and determination to have a good time!

I noticed I learned so much from my extroverted friend. It’s almost like the more I understand him, the more I can apply the little tricks. I’d just realized the other week that one of the ways he makes friends so easily is by jumping into their conversations, and without even thinking about it, that’s what I did!

I’m so impressed with myself. I was right to view that event as an opportunity to grow and to apply the lessons I’ve learned. What a fantastic boost in confidence. I got hit on some, too ;) I need to figure out how to handle that a little better, but still a compliment. That night was such a great reminder that I am in complete control of my own happiness, and I can do anything I set my mind to. I absolutely will not let the little hiccups from the night influence my overall view of that night and my own self-worth. I am a rock star, and I definitely proved that last night!

How are you holding yourself back? What limiting beliefs are keeping you from letting out your inner rock star?

No comments:

Post a Comment