Friday, December 6, 2013

Humans Weren’t Meant for Sedentary Life



Whose bright idea was it that human beings should sit on their butt all day after sleeping all night? Sitting in traffic, at the desk working, eating lunch… all done while sitting. That is not natural or healthy, mentally or physically. There has to be another way.

I feel no sense of living my purpose sitting at my desk writing code. It can be fun, but it does not brighten my soul and make me feel alive. I know I need to be doing something greater.

But what about others who have desk jobs doing things like this? Surely not everyone can go around being a thought leader writing books, the way I imagine myself doing. Someone has to write code, manage teams and do all the technical, management, etc jobs. Is there really no way to reconcile it?

How do I plan it out so I can enjoy my life instead of dragging myself through it? Can I make those endless work hours better somehow, without pushing “quitting time” into the late night?

Basically, I have to give up on the idea that there is a way to reconcile the corporate work week with living a healthy and spiritually nurturing lifestyle. There is no “answer” that “everyone else” has that I haven’t figured out yet. I have to CREATE MY OWN, and that may take work, time and money. And ingenuity.

Luckily, I believe I work somewhere that will be forgiving of the changes I’m thinking of making. Some of the changes include lessening the dress code, at least some of the time. I have really wide feet, so I found that boots (the high-heel kinds) work better for me because they don’t have to fit correctly since the boot part wraps all the way around and keeps the shoes from coming off as I walk, whereas normally shoes of the correct width are too big in length, so they flop around and threaten to fly off and trip me.

I now realize I’m going to have to take the time and effort to order out for shoes that really, truly fit. It will cost money, and it will take time and wasted shoe purchases to find the right ones. But it will be worth it in the end. I also need to find shoes that are work appropriate (ish…) that are more like sneakers. I will also need to invest in work clothes that are looser and stretch more. These will be challenging to find, especially with my taste in clothes. Compromises will have to be made in both directions. These changes will make it easier for me to take active breaks throughout the day. If I have on tight pants and heels, I can’t very easily go on a brisk walk, now can I?

I could also cut my hair shorter. This would significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to get ready, which would give me more time in general as well as make exercising during my lunch break more viable. However, I look HORRIBLE with short hair. I have a round, chubby face. Short hair is always a no-no for that face type. However, maybe that’s exactly what I need. Hair is considered very sensual in some cultures, and when you think about it, it is in ours, as well. By cutting my hair, I would be de-sexualizing myself a little bit. I feel like that might be somewhat freeing and empowering. I think I could come up with a style and length that, while not being completely flattering, would not be the end of the world for my self-esteem. I could also dye it as dark as I want, as a compromise with my ego!

I feel like these changes would open up new possibilities for me. In addition to the changes I listed, I could bring in a ball to swap out for my chair, or bring dumbbells to work. I might even be able to find a way to slip in that workout during lunch, especially with the haircut idea.

Of course, I also need to work on bringing lunch with me to work. That is always the plan, but most of the time it never really seems to come together. I would also need to prepare my gym clothes and toiletries every night so they will be ready to go in the morning.

This is all doable. It is work, but it is doable. I just have to have a schedule and keep on top of it. This isn’t all going to happen right away. I’m going to have to space this out, starting with the clothing changes and the haircut. But this could work. This could make the day much more enjoyable. Of course there would be some days where I’d have to throw on the tight work clothes and heels, but I know that I have enough days where there is no question I could slum it a little bit. Depending on how I do it, it wouldn’t even be slumming.

This makes me excited!! I have a plan! A plan to better my life – just the life I have now, before adding anything else, like more dance classes or singing lessons!

I should throw a picture of myself into PhotoShop and see what kinds of haircuts would work… Hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment