Saturday, July 13, 2013

Affirmations: Stand Behind Your Words



One of the affirmations I need to remind myself of is to stand behind my words. I seemed to care a lot about whether people misinterpreted what I said or, to some extent, if they disagreed. I felt as though if I had just worded it correctly to begin with, whatever negative reaction wouldn’t have happened. So I’d get mad at myself for not communicating correctly, and then try to “fix” what I said.

That’s not the proper or loving way to view it. Stand behind your words. You meant what you said. What you said is not wrong. If they misinterpreted it, you can ADD to what you said. But don’t build a habit of doubting yourself and thinking that you did something wrong. This way, instead of feeling like you failed and then trying to desperately backtrack and fix it, you can move FORWARD and continue the conversation while remaining strong and confident instead of defeated. Move forward instead of trying to recreate the past.

This has become more and more helpful not only in my career but in life. I can tell I get less flustered when people misunderstand, try to correct me (or so they think), etc. because instead of feeling like I’m being put down, I know that I MEANT what I said and I can take the negativity in stride and continue speaking confidently.

That’s the important thing – not letting it fluster you and make you want to stop talking. That’s what it did to me before. I felt defeated. I felt like no one was getting what I was saying and I wasn’t saying things correctly. I made it about myself – something I was doing wrong. I turned it into shame; that I’m a failure at communicating. That was NOT what was happening. We speak from our own perspective at the angle we view the world in. We can’t expect to perfectly present the information to someone else’s angle and viewpoint right off the bat. If they don’t understand right away, it isn’t you. You are not a failure. Analyze their reaction to decide where their viewpoint is coming from, and then add to what you said. Don’t DEFEND yourself in your statement; just continue forward making your point. There’s a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment